Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)

my dog is licking his lips excessively almost like he has peanut

my dog is licking his lips excessively almost like he has peanut butter stuck to the roof of his mouth. He has also been licking the floor a lot today. It is winter and there is a little salt on the floor from it being stuck to our shoes, but this licking in his mouth is excessive. He did vomit up his food this morning too. Do you have any idea what is going on?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 7 years ago.
The vomiting episode and the salivation certainly go together. Nausea will produce salivation in dogs. Anything that produces a strange taste in a dog's mouth will cause them to lick within the mouth. So it may be that some of the gastric secretions have tainted his mouth from either vomiting or from some reflux activity. I doubt it will be the salt...that will quickly dissolve in the saliva and dissapear.
So it all sounds like he has a gastric upset.
As long as he still seems quite bright it is likely to resolve with conservative treatment. Don't feed him until the signs have disappeared, in particular if there is any more vomiting. Allow him to drink water but be careful he doesn't take too much at once as this might trigger further vomiting. You can add a human electrolyte solution or glucose to the water if you have any. If you have any Kaolin/Pectin/Bismuth mixtures (Kaopectate, Kaomagma, Pepto-Bismol) dose him at 0.5-1.0 ml/lb every 4-6 hours. This will settle his stomach, reduce any reflux and ease the discomfort.
If he is still showing signs in the morning, particularly vomiting or inappetance you should have him assessed by your vet.
I hope I have been of assistance.
Regards, Peter.