Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.

My dog is limping or not using her hind leg, but she does not

My dog is limping or not using her hind leg, but she does not seem to be in pain. What should I do? She seems to be using the leg more and more but I don't want to ignore a possibly bad injury.
The fact that your dog is limping is an indicator of pain. Most dogs don't cry or whimper if a leg hurts, they just hold it up.

Since she seems to be improving, I suspect that she just pulled or strained a muscle. Keeping her quiet, no running or jumping, for a few days should help. The big concern with back legs, however, is that she may have torn (or partially torn) her ACL--cruciate ligament that stabilizes the knee joint.

If she did tear her cruciate, she will hold up her leg and be pretty much non-weight bearing for a day or so, then start to toe-touch. The knee will start to scar, but she'll have a noticeable limp for quite some time. If the rest doesn't help and she is still limping by early next week, I would take her in for an exam.

Hope that helps!
Dr. Scarlett