Dr. Wally
Dr. Wally, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20 years experience in veterinary field.

Are ham bones safe for dogs to eat

Customer Question

Are ham bones safe for dogs to eat?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Wally replied 7 years ago.

Working in emergency medicine, and having admitted over a dozen dogs to the hospital for pancreatitis in the last week (due to ham bones), I would have to say that NO they are not a good idea.

Potential problems include:

vomiting and diarrhea

chipped teeth

intestinal blockage

intestinal perforation

Throw that hambone out and give your dog something healthier to chew on. Believe me, the vet bill and illness isn't worth the risk.

If you feel my answer was helpful, please click on ACCEPT. Feedback & Bonuses are always welcome. If a deposit has been made, it remains with Just Answer until you press ACCEPT. Once you press ACCEPT then I am paid.

If there is something I can further clarify, Click REPLY. Our dialog continues even after you click accept, I want to be sure your question is fully answered.