Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota

My dog has a large cluster of wart looking lumps on her underbelly.

My dog has a large cluster of wart looking lumps on her underbelly. It does not seem to affect her, but does seem unusual. Should I be concerned?
I would like to help you with your question, but first I need a bit more information.

Could you describe the mass a bit more (size, color, shape, any discharge)

Where exactly is it located? Is it associated with any of her nipples?

Is the mass just on the surface, or does it feel like it is attached to the muscles below?

Has your vet done any tests on it?

How is your dog feeling? Any increased thirst or other changes?

Could you post a photo of the mass?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Dr Beth,

The lumps are a pinkish colour with no discharge and is located just above her genitals. The lumps are about the size of a human wart and are round. The cluster is about 10cm long by 5cm wide and is not around her nipples. The mass seems to be sitting on the surface, and I cannot see any changes in her or her behaviour. The vet did not conduct any tests, but she said she was unsure of what exactly it is. Do not have resources to post a photo.

Has she been spayed? Is she sexually active?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No she is not spayed and isn't sexually active
Thank you for the excellent description of the mass. There are a couple of conditions that I would think of when presented with a mass of this description.

The first would be a Sebaceous Gland Tumor. These are typically benign tumors that arise out of your dog's oil glands. They can form large cauliflower-like masses on the skin that are white to pink in color. They are non-painful and usually do not cause the dog any problems. It is also possible to have more aggressive forms of these tumors that should be surgically removed.

The second possibility is a melanoma (skin cancer). These are not always pigmented (colored) and can often form wart-like masses. These can be benign or maligant, often will become ulcerated, and should be surgically removed.

Another option (based on the location, description and fact that your dog is intact) is a Transmissible Veneral Tumor. This does not have to be transmitted by sexual intercourse, it can also be spread through licking and sniffing of her vulva. Treatment for this involves chemotherapy.

All of these conditions would need to be diagnosed by either cytology. This is a simple procedure where you vet will use a small needle to take a few cells from the mass and look at them under the microscope to determine what type of tissue if growing. This is called a fine needle aspirate (FNA). Alternatively, a biopsy could be done to provide a large sample. If the mass is growing, I would recommend that you have it investigated.

Please let me know if I can be of further help.

Dr. Beth