PetDoc
PetDoc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  10+ years practicing small animal veterinarian
14971220

I HAVE AN 18 MONTH OLD KING CORSA/MASTIFF AND LAST NIGHT WHILE

Customer Question

I HAVE AN 18 MONTH OLD KING CORSA/MASTIFF AND LAST NIGHT WHILE WE WERE ASLEEP SINCE HE IS A VERY AFFECTIONANT(?) PUPPY WE WERE CUDDLING AT FIRST I FIGURED HE WAS HAVING A NIGHTMARE SINCE HIS LIPS WERE QUIVERRING VERY AGGRESIVLY ALSO HIS TEETH WERE CHATTERING BUT AS TIME PASSED BY IT BEGAN TO MOVE THROUGH HIS ENTIRE BODY MOSTLY IN HIS SNOUT & HIND QUARTERS I'M WORRIED THAT HE WAS POSSIBLY SEZUIRING IS IT POSSIBLE FOR DOGS TO SUFFER FROM SEIZURES MAYBE EVEN EPILEPSY? IF SO WHAT ARE THE SIGNS? AND IS IT COMMON FOR MY BREED(S) OF DOG TO HAVE ANY OF THOSE HEALTH CONCERNS?
Category: Dog
Expert:  PetDoc replied 8 years ago.

It is possible that this was just a nightmare because when dogs dream, it can affect the whole body. However, if you noticed him urinating, defecating, excessively salivating or paddling like he was swimming, this can be a sign that he was having a seizure.

Surely, if you notice this behavior again, he needs to go to his regular veterinarian to be "worked up" for epilepsy. Epilepsy usually presents itself between 1-3 years of age. Your veterinarian would want to run some bloodwork to determine if there is anything happening in his body that would trigger the seizures. If there is nothing remarkable on the bloodwork, your veterinarian may or may not start medication.

Please note the length of each episode and how he responds after each one. Don't hesitate to call your regular veterinarian or emergency service if you have questions.