NancyH, Dog Expert:Rescue, Train,Breed,Care
Experience:  30+ yrs dog home vet care & nursing, rescue, behavior&training, responsible show breeding, genetics

how much does it cost to crop ears and dock the tail on a doberman

Customer Question

how much does it cost to crop ears and dock the tail on a doberman pinscher pup?
Category: Dog
Expert:  NancyH replied 7 years ago.

If the tail is docked at 2-3 days of age, which is when it should be done, the cost is usually minimal as no anesthesia is needed before the nerves grow to the brain from the tail area. Last litter my vet charged me about $25 per pup to remove tails and dewclaws.

If this is done after a pup is older and has to go under ansesthesia it can cost in the hundreds to do.

Ear cropping varies widely in pricing. I've seen quotes from $100 -$750 or more. Costs on surgical care of dogs varies widely area to area and vet to vet and can depend on the kind of surgery done such as traditional vs laser surgery. Not all vets will crop ears and not all that do crop do a good job of it.

Typically these sorts of procedures are not done at all on mixbred dogs.

Hope this helps you!