Dr. Chad
Dr. Chad, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a small animal veterinarian since 1989 and over 80% of my patients are dogs
13957441

My dog has been shedding a lot more than normal, and she doesnt

Customer Question

My dog has been shedding a lot more than normal, and she doesn't shed much usually (rottweiler). she has been itching more than normal, but there aren't any scabs or sore spots. When she had a staph infection before, I could see a discolored spot on her belly. this time there aren't any marks.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Chad replied 8 years ago.

Morning jhassler,

I assume when you say shedding you mean losing hair but not to the point of "bald" areas? If it is just an increase in the "normal" shedding that dogs do there are a couple of options you could try. Since you are seeing some itching as well there may be an underlying mild allergy going on. You can give Benadryl at a dose of 1 mg. per pound 3 times daily to try to help with this. To help with shedding you could put her on a better food if she is on a poorer quality food. Foods that are better for their skin and coat include Nutromax, Nature's Recipe, and Iams. There are also several products specifically for shedding. Many vets carry them, but pet stores do as well. By the way, just because a product says it will help doesn't mean it will. The 2 products I can think of off hand are Shed Stop and Optima 365. The are a certain balance of Omega fatty acids which can dramatically reduce shedding and even help with allergies. They aren't just a fatty acid! It is the specific ratio in them that helps with shedding. Good Luck!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Yes, she is shedding more, but no bald spots. she has always been on a high quality dog food, and has eaten the same thing for years with no problems. She goes to the dog park regularly and it has been pretty muddy on occasion, so I thought that might have caused some problems. She had gotten a staph infection from there once before.

i can try the Benadryl. Just don't know if I should take her to the vet in case she needs antibiotics. If it was a staph infection I would see some kind of mark on her skin, correct???

thank you for your help!

Jane