Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)
11090950

My dog caught a rat and killed it. She had it in her mouth

My dog caught a rat and killed it. She had it in her mouth with the tail hanging out. She didn't swallow it or anything, but there was blood on the floor from the rat. What should we do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 7 years ago.
Hi
It is highly unlikley that this will be any problem for her. The two main risks with a dog killing a ratt is if it is ingested entirely. In this case there is some rislk that the dog will aquire a bacterial enteritis from the bacteria present in the tissues of the rat (eg Salmonella) or that the rat had been poisoned with a rodenticide which remained in the rat's stomach and could then affect the dog.
Simply holding the rat in your dog's mouth is not a big issue even though she had punctured it with her teeth. I recommend you just keep a watch on her for 48 hours with a temporary diarrhea or gastric upset the only likely possibility.
I hope I have reassured you. Please contact me back if I can assist further.
Regards, Peter
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so very much. I was so worried about my dog.