How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Pete Your Own Question
Dr Pete
Dr Pete, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 3009
Experience:  Bachelor of Veterinary Science (University of Melbourne, Australia)
11090950
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Pete is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog caught a rat and killed it. She had it in her mouth

Resolved Question:

My dog caught a rat and killed it. She had it in her mouth with the tail hanging out. She didn't swallow it or anything, but there was blood on the floor from the rat. What should we do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Pete replied 7 years ago.
Hi
It is highly unlikley that this will be any problem for her. The two main risks with a dog killing a ratt is if it is ingested entirely. In this case there is some rislk that the dog will aquire a bacterial enteritis from the bacteria present in the tissues of the rat (eg Salmonella) or that the rat had been poisoned with a rodenticide which remained in the rat's stomach and could then affect the dog.
Simply holding the rat in your dog's mouth is not a big issue even though she had punctured it with her teeth. I recommend you just keep a watch on her for 48 hours with a temporary diarrhea or gastric upset the only likely possibility.
I hope I have reassured you. Please contact me back if I can assist further.
Regards, Peter
Dr Pete and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so very much. I was so worried about my dog.