Bully Breeder
Bully Breeder, Veterinary Assistant
Experience:  10 years breeding, 6 years in Veterinary medicine, Lifetime of Dog ownership

Can puppies be born with rabies If so how long can they live

Can puppies be born with rabies? If so how long can they live for? Can a 6-10 Week old puppy have rabies and transfer it to humans?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Bully Breeder replied 7 years ago.

Hello, puppies can not be born with the rabies virus but can pick it up form their mother if the mother has rabies. It can be transmitted from the mother to the babies from the milk and or the licking and biting that the mother does with the pups. If the mother had rabies then there is a possibility that the pups could also have rabies. If the mother does not have rabies but the pups were raised outside where they could have been exposed to other dogs or raccoons then there may be a possibility that they could have picked up the disease that way. Typically though if the mother is vaccinated for Rabies the pups will be able to carry her immunity from the disease until they are at least 6 to 8 weeks of age. This is why pups are usually vaccinated at that point. So if the mother was vaccinated against rabies and the pups have lived indoors their whole life then it may be unlikely that they have rabies. If however the pups have been outside most of their life with exposure to other possible animals then the risk of rabies may be higher. There have been a few cases of rabies in 10 week old pups that have been raised outdoors and where the mothers vaccination status was unknown. The signs are neurolgical in nature and the puppy will present with a head tilt, inability to walk correctly, drooppy face etc if the pups are showing signs of possible rabies. The incubation period of the disease can be anywhere form 10 days to a year depending on how severe the infection is. Here are a few links with some information on the subject for you to review. Hope this helps but let me know if you need anything else.

I just saw the last part of your post. Since you are out of the states and the nature of the mothers vaccination status is unknown and if the puppy is showing neurological signs then the chances of rabies is substancially more serious than if you were here in the states. If the puppy bit of licked you in any way as well the chances are even higher that you could have contracted it. You may want to be vaccinated for Rabies just to be in the safe side at this point.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The dog was not showing signs, It was active, the other puppies were not showing any signs, they were in a dug out whole that war big enough for a couple full sized people to live in, and were in the Iraqi police station. The mother wastn showing signs, she barked a lil bit at us when we went near her puppies then moved away from us and just sat an watched, then as soon as we left she came back to her pups.
Since the signs were not there it maybe alright in the long run but given the fact that the health history is unknown on both the pups and the mother and that Rabies is fatal in humans it may be better to be on the safe side and look into getting the shots to prevent the disease. It may be unlikely that the pups and the mother have the disease but I would rather be safer than sorry at this point. Good luck and let me know if I can do anything else.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The dog did not lick me, nor bite me. I was wearing gloves, and it was very cute.
You maybe alright but you have to realize that you are in a country where vaccines are not given as they would be here in the states and the chances of rabies is higher than here in the states so you may be safer than sorry in getting vaccinated at this point. They can be carriers of the disease and not be showing any physical signs of the disease as of yet. It is totally up to you at this point but I would play it safe if it were me and get vaccinated.

Thanks to NH Holmes who provided this additional link. Please take a look at it as it pertains to Rabies in Iraqi and the soldiers bringing home dogs with the disease.