Dr. K
Dr. K, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years experience as Veterinarian

Came home and my dogs eyes are twitching and cannot not stay

Came home and my dogs eyes are twitching and cannot not stay still. The dog is a pug. Eyes seem to be more bulging than regular. He is having a hard time being calm. He seems adjutated. help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.

When you say "twitching" you mean that if you hold his head steady, his eyes look like they are vibrating back and forth rapidly?
Is he holding is head tilted to one side?
Is he having any difficulty walking?

Dr. K
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes, If I hold his head steady his eyes look like they are vibrating back and forth rapidly.

When he walks he now has his tail between his legs which is not normal for a pug.

He does not seem to have his head tiled to one side .

He does not seem to have difficulty walking but is not acting in his normal way.He is hanging out and lying down in rooms he never goes into.

He was under the dining room table which he never does and was doing the "pug snort"

and would not come out.

He seems a little better now. It has been about two hours.

Expert:  Dr. K replied 7 years ago.
This abnormal movement to his eyes is called a nystagmus, and can occur with a number of different disorders such as inner ear infections, brain tumors, encephalitis (inflammation of the brain), some toxicities, and a disease called idiopathic vestibular disease (which he is a little bit young for). When dogs are displaying a nystagmus, they are also often quite dizzy and disoriented, so this can explain why he is not acting normal and is laying down more---so as to avoid standing since he is dizzy.

Because of his distress, I recommend that you take him in to the animal emergency clinic for an examination. If it is trouble from an inner ear infection, they can start him on some treatment to correct ASAP. Even if it is caused by something else, they can give him certain medications to help with the feeling of dizziness and usually nausea that accompanies this condition.

I hope that this information is of help to you, and that your Pug comes through this okay. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Dr. K