How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 18938
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog just ate a whole box of chocolate covered raisins.

Resolved Question:

My dog just ate a whole box of chocolate covered raisins. Help!
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the question Lina Holland.

Both raisins and chocolate are potentially toxic to dogs, raisins more so than chocolate.

1. If you can, make your dog sick at once and try and recover the raisins that way, for the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this : LINK

2. After that you should contact an ER vet and explain what has happened.

While raisin pioisoning in the dog is variable some dogs have suffered very bad effects from eating just a few. The symptoms of toxicity would include vomiting and hyperactive behavior, diarrhea may also be seen. After 24 hours, the dog may be come anorexic, lethargic and depressed as kidney impairment is possible.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
Dr Scott Nimmo and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions