How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bruce Your Own Question
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 17739
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Bruce is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I think my dog ate a AA battery whole.

Resolved Question:

I think my dog ate a AA battery whole.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

Can you answer a couple questions for me?
1) How long ago do you think he ate this battery?
2) How big is your dog?

Dr. Bruce

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It was no more than 15 minutes ago. She is about 20 pounds.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.
The best thing that you can do to be sure that she at the battery is to take her to your vet to have a radiograph done. That way you can be certain if the battery has been ingested. I've had similar situations, where owners are sure their pet ate a battery, and the radiographs showed that there was nothing in the gastrointestinal tract.

You might get lucky and find she hasn't eaten it.

If she has, then.... that is something that can go down a couple routes. Obviously if it is there, they could try to get her to vomit it out. If it comes out great! If it doesn't then surgery might be considered. This gets the potential problem resolved the fastest and most controlled way. Could a battery that size pass through her intestines? That is something there is no way to give an accurate answer. It all depends on the size, shape of the object and the loops of bowel. I can't say yes it will, or no it won't.

I would encourage you to visit your ER clinic for the radiograph to see if it is there. And then a plan can be formulated as to what to do.

If you can't get in to the ER clinic, you can try to induce vomiting at home (if it comes out great.... if it doesn't... it may still be there). Here is a site that explains it.

If you're going to wait to see if it passes, we don't want to see her getting sick (vomiting), not eating well, becoming painful in her belly, or just getting depressed. Those all could be signs of it not passing. When something gets stuck, it then starts to become a very serious problem that could be life threatening if not dealt with quickly.

Hopefully everything will be good with your little one!
Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions