Dr.Beth
Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota
12905457

My dogs penis the tip has been out for 3 days what causes this

Customer Question

My dogs penis the tip has been out for 3 days what causes this and how do I fix it
Submitted: 5 years ago via Vet.com.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 5 years ago.
I would like to help you with your question, but first I need a bit more information.

Is this tip of the penis swollen? Dry? Irritated?

Is he having any trouble urinating?

Approximately how much is sticking out?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It's getting dry and he is having a little trouble urinating. Just the tip a quarter inch or so.
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 5 years ago.
Which came first, the penis sticking out or the discomfort while urinating?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The penis sticking out
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 5 years ago.
Is this tip swollen at all?

Is he neutered?

Has this ever happened to him before?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Doesn't look swollen this is the first time and yes he is neutered
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 5 years ago.
I would like you to do something. Get some vasoline or KY jelly and apply a liberal amount to the end of his penis. Massage the prepuce over the end of the penis (this is the furry bit of skin).

Are you able to replace the prepuce to cover the full length of his penis?

Was he uncomfortable when you were doing this?

Did any discharge come out?

Also check for any little knots of hair or other debris that may be blocking the way for the penis to be fully retracted.

Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I can does this if this doesn't work then what
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 5 years ago.
Go and do this first, then email me and let me know what happened. If it does not work, we can talk about what to do next. But I will need you to answer the questions I asked before we can talk about that.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This hurt him I didn't see any hair or nothing blocking this. When I pushed prepuce to cover it didn't stay covered. No puss or discharge came out
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It looks like it went back in
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 5 years ago.
That is good to hear! If it comes back out again, put a bit more lubricant on it. Below is the email I was writing (in case it comes out and stays out again).

Ok, there are a number of reasons for a dog to be unable to retract his penis into his prepuce. These include paralysis of retractor penis muscle, inflammation in his prepuce (from trauma or infection), foreign body obstruction (near the base of his penis may be causing it to not retract fully), fracture of the os penis bone (dogs have a bone in their penis), cancer (unlikely in a dog his age), prepuce opening that is either too large or too small, or balanoposthitis (inflammation of glans penis and prepuce).

I would advise that you continue to lubricate the tip of the penis every few hours and visit your vet for a thorough examination to check for the above conditions.

Dr. Beth
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so very much
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome. I am sure that was more up close and personal than you ever thought you would be with your dog.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it was good thing I've been around dogs and animals all my life Thank you