Theresa, A Voice for Your Pet
Experience:  19+ years experience in small animal medicine

I am very concerned. Why does my dog froth at the mouth, constantly

Customer Question

I am very concerned. Why does my dog froth at the mouth, constantly turn in circles and is breathe heavily (restlessly). These are all new behaviors. She also has had some unusual accidents, peeing and defication.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Theresa replied 7 years ago.
The circling and the foaming at the mouth could be caused secondarily to the ear infection if it is severe enough to result in vestibular disease. You can read more on this here:

I would consider having her reevaluated since there is no change in her condition after 5 days of treatment. Other causes of vestibular disease include hypothyroidism or a possible brain tumor which is also common in this breed of dog.

I always recommend bloodwork when there are serious symptoms and the pet is older because there could be chemical changes that can also cause some of these symptoms. Definitely be sure that a thyroid profile is included as well as a CBC.

Since she is having accidents in the house a urinalysis may also help us to come to a diagnosis. Not necessarily that she has a urinary tract infection but changes in the urine can point us to a specific direction like if she has cushing's disease or a tumor on her pituitary gland in the brain.

You can read more about Cushing's disease here:

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much. I continued to be concerned about all of the symptoms displayed by Tasha and your answer as to possible problems. Eventually I had to take Tasha to have an MRI scan at Emory University Veterinary Hospital, and unfortunately, Tasha has a massive brain tumor in the center of the brain that is inoperative. These are some trying days and I have to make some very tough decisions. For now, she is still with me. Thanks.

Tasha's Dad
Expert:  Theresa replied 7 years ago.
I am so sorry to hear of the diagnosis. No, it is never an easy decision but it is one that we have the privelege of having for our best friends so that they do not have to suffer.

I am very sorry,