Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

New puppy, 9 weeks blood in stool. Should I be worried?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

Have you changed foods?

Has she been vaccinated?

Has she had a fecal run?

Did she come from a kennel or pet shop?

What is her gum color?

Joan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. She is very active and yes we are changing her food. I use half and half. No stool run yet. She has had her first vacs and worming. She came from a good friend of mine who breeds. Gums good.
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

At this point in time I would have the puppy in for Fecal check. This will rule out the major reason we see in blood in the stools of puppies, which are parasites which include Giardia, Coccidia, Hookworms and other parasites. Puppies can also eat some no-no's which can cause intesinal distress and blood in the stool. The last problem may be colitis from the change in diet. All these problems can be ruled out with a fecal examination by a Vet. If you have not had the puppy in as of yet, I suggest a vet visit with a stool sample to be examined. Joan

http://www.dogsobediencetraining.com/health/puppy-dog-health-melena-blood-in-stool.htm

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

I did want to add if the stools get loose or she starts vomiting, you will want to have her checked for Parvo Virus. Since you did not mention diarrhea or vomiting I hate to be an alarmist, but the blood in the stools, diarrhea and Vomiting can all be symtoms of Parvo. The fecal sample can reveal what may be happening. Joan

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. I don't think it is parvo. Maybe the change of food. BUT I will be calling the vet on Monday. I thank you for your reply!!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
jUST SO YOU KNOW i AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH THE PAYPAL LINK. I WILL KEEP TRYING.
Expert:  Joan replied 8 years ago.

I hate to mention Parvo, but I did not want to leave that out should the symptoms intensify. As you said this may be from the change in food or a parasite issue which is common in young puppies.You can try a bland diet to see if it may help. Use boiled boneless chicken breast 1 part to 3 parts white rice. This will allow the stomach to rest. I am not worrying about payment. My first interest is in making sure your puppy gets the best care and you have the best information. I wish you the Best in the New Year! Joan