Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog, a German Shepherd, has a black spot on her tongue.

My dog, a German Shepherd, has a black spot on her tongue. It is about half way back from the forward tip of her tongue. It does not seem to annoy her or interfere with her eating or drinking. Please advise.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 years ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. Is the black spot a raised mass-like lesion or just a change in color on the toungue?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
A change in the color of the tongue. Small in circumference.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the information. Black pigmentation on tounges of dogs is very common in alot of breeds. German shepherds are among those breeds that can have black spots on the tounge. It is not uncommon for pigmentary changes to occur as dogs gets older as well. To be on the safe side, though, I would probably have it checked out by your vet. Black color changes in dogs' mouths can be related to oral melanoma (a type of cancer), but this is most commonly seen on the gums and is usually a raised, mass-like lesion. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.