ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience:  Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing

my dog is constantly biting and growling at his testicles.he

my dog is constantly biting and growling at his testicles.he also has eye and paw irritation.ive tried various remedies from the vet to no avail and its cxosting me a small fortune.can u help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  ask_me replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your Staffie is going through this. So I'm clear, he's biting at his testicals, and also has an eye and paw issue, correct? If your vet hasn't yet, your going to want to have them look into two things. The first is a skin scraping. This will show if mites or a fungal infection are present. Next, they may need to do a blood test. This can reveal if he is having a thyroid or autoimmune issue (affordable medication can help to manage these). I'm assuming that they've ruled out testicular torsion (twisting of the testicals), correct? At home, you can also try switching his food to a low allergy formula like Hill's Z/D. I hope he's doing better soon. -Robyn

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the vet did do a skin scraping about a year ago and prescribed an antibac wash and frontline spray .i think it probably is some kind of mite but there are so many different types and remedies i cant afford to try every one .any sugestions?the ointment i was given for his eyes i was a bit dubios of using after being warned of the side effects.i have been bathing them with cold tea which helps a lot.
Expert:  ask_me replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for the additional information. If possible, see if you can find out from your vet what the skin scraping revealed. Being that he is having this problem in his testicles, eyes and paws, a fungal infection -or- thyroid issue are the most likely culprits. For a fungal infection, you can clean the affected areas with an over the counter product like Derma Pet, keep him on an all natural, corn free food and add 1 T of plain yogurt a day to it, and also see if your vet can call you an oral antifungal. For thyroid, a bloodtest would be needed and from there, a daily maintaince medication would be given. I can understand that funds are have this looked into further, consider contacting your local SPCA as they can refer you to a clinic (sliding scale). Often, with itching like this, secondary bacterial infection occur, thus keep up with weekly bathing (gentle oatmeal shampoos are great for this) and consider adding an antihistamine (always let your vet know before giving a new medication). I hope he's doing better soon. -Robyn