LSU-Vet
LSU-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian, Dog/Cat Veterinarian
12131827

What do I do if my dog accidentally ate 1 xanax pill last

What do I do if my dog accidentally ate 1 xanax pill last night?
Category: Dog
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 5 years ago.

How much does your dog weigh and what was the strength of the tablet?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dog was 53 pounds last month. Trying to find out how strong the tablet was. It was one of the small, blue football-looking ones. I believe it was 1 Mg generic. I have no idea if she ate it, but it is missing.
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 5 years ago.
Ok, for this size dog 1mg of xanax is completely fine and within the normal dose range. IT may have just made him very relaxed last night for the fireworks. No worries about him eating that. Have a good new year!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What about the uncommon yelping when I was scratching her? She's still acting really sluggish. What about the shaking legs/back? If she did eat the pill, it would have been roughly 14 hours ago or so. Is it possible that she could still be feeling the effects?
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 5 years ago.

I'm very sorry, when I read your question, the additional information wasn't there so I thought you were just asking about the pill consumption.

To answer the rest of your questions, it is unlikely that the xanax is still causing her to be like this. Given her age, breed, and what you are describing it sounds like she has some pain associated with either arthritis in her joints or neck or back pain. What I would suggest you do is keep her very quiet for the next day or so, no jumping, play etc and see how she does. If she is still acting like this then you will want to take her to your vet so that they can look her over and find out where and why she is so uncomfortable and then possibly do some xrays etc. They will also be able to give her medications that will make her more comfortable.

Again, sorry for that oversight. I hope she is feeling better soon.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No problem. I was replying quickly b/c I am very concerned. She has never really shown signs of arthritis/joint/back/neck pain and it seems weird that it would happen almost suddenly in one evening. I just don't think I can afford going to the emergency clinic since my vet is closed for the holiday today. I think I will wait until the morning to take her to my normal vet. If she gets worse today, do you recommend I take her to the emergency clinic? Thank you so much!
Expert:  LSU-Vet replied 5 years ago.
I think she will be fine to wait until tomorrow. Just watch for any signs of pain, crying out ect. If she is wobbling, or having problems placing her feet then yes go today. Otherwise if she is eating and going to the bathroom normally, then she can definitely wait until tomorrow.
LSU-Vet, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian, Dog/Cat Veterinarian
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She is not eating normally. I didn't watch her going to the bathroom this morning b/c it didn't occur to me that I should be paying attention and my backyard is almost 1 acre so I don't know where she went. I will try to get her to eat again and then attempt to get her to go to the bathroom again. I'll stop asking more questions now... :)