Dr.Beth
Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota
12905457

my dog went into labor and had 2 pups while I was gone, she

my dog went into labor and had 2 pups while I was gone, she has not had anymore since. she does not seem to be in too much discomfort and dark green fluid is coming out of her. what can I expect when I take her to the vet and will she survive if all the babies inside her are dead?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 8 years ago.
I would like to help you with your question, but first I need a bit more information.

How has your dog been since you posted this question?

Does she continue to have dark green discharge from her vulva? Does the liquid smell foul?

Is she having any contractions at all?

How are the pups doing?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
well I have been home for close to 12hrs since I got home and she had the 2 pups. the 2 pups seem to be healthy and fine. I noticed the green fluid when i check on her but it seem to stop and did no smell really foul. she seems to move around-walking fine and she seem to just be breathing heavy. I plan to have her checked out if anyone is open tomorrow but I dont think I will be able to afford any heavy medical cost.
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 8 years ago.
I am glad to hear that mom and the pups seem to be doing well. Dogs often have vaginal discharge after giving birth. It can vary in color from red to brown to green. It typically does not have any odor. If a foul odor accompanies the discharge it could indicate death of a fetus, infection, and premature separation of placentas. Ideally, she would be seen by a vet tonight, as this is not possible for you, I would keep a close eye on her for any signs of distress. Make sure she has lots of water and food if she is interested and make sure the pups stay warm and are nursing well.

Here is some more information on caring for mom and the new born pups if you are interested.

Problems to Watch For

Metritis (Inflammation of the Uterus)
Signs of this condition are as follows:

fever
foul-smelling vaginal discharge
listlessness
loss of appetite
no interest in the puppies
decreased milk production
If these signs are noted, usually in the first day or two postpartum, a veterinarian should be consulted. Your dog may have retained a placenta or have suffered some trauma during delivery. Animals who have required assistance with delivery are often predisposed to metritis.

Eclampsia
This condition results when the bitch has trouble supporting the calcium demand of lactation. Calcium supplementation predisposes a bitch to this condition. Usually affected animals are small dogs. They demonstrate:
nervousness and restlessness
no interest in or even aggression towards the pups
stiff, painful gait

This progresses to:
muscle spasms
inability to stand
fever
seizures
This condition generally occurs in the first 3 weeks of lactation and a veterinarian should be consulted immediately.

Mastitis (Inflammation of the Breasts)
Normal nursing glands are soft and enlarged. Diseased glands are red, hard, and painful. In general, the bitch does not act sick; the disease is confined to the mammary tissue. The bitch may be sore and discourage the pups from nursing; however, it is important to keep the pups nursing the affected glands. This is not harmful to the puppies and helps flush out the infected material. Hot packing may be helpful.

Problems with the Puppies
Newborn puppies should spend their time feeding and sleeping; they are not very playful or active for the first week. Puppies that nurse poorly, cry constantly, or do not sleep with the rest of the litter are in trouble and should be examined by the veterinarian. Ideally the puppies should be weighed shortly after birth and should be expected to gain 5% to 10% of their birth weight daily. (A small weight loss in the first day of life is normal but this should be less than 10% of their initial weight.) Puppies that do not gain weight properly are in trouble and should be checked by the veterinarian. It is helpful if puppies are weighed at least daily to be sure they are growing properly. Very young puppies have clear or slightly yellow-tinged urine. Obviously yellow urine is a sign of dehydration.

If you think there is a problem with the mother or any of the puppies, contact your veterinarian. Examination may be needed for the mother and entire litter, not just the individual who appears sick.

Most dogs are excellent mothers and problems are few. The basic rule is to seek veterinary care if she seems to feel sick or if she ceases to care for her young. Puppies nurse until they are about 6 weeks old and then may be adopted by new homes.