Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My spayed dog has had slight bleeding from her vagina and swelling

My spayed dog has had slight bleeding from her vagina and swelling for 4 days. Vet visit said vaginitis possibly antibiotics prescribed. 2 days later she is bleeding more. She licks frequently but does not act abnormally. What else could be going on?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
I am sorry to hear about the bleeding.
I am very suspicious if she may have been in heat or going into heat at the time the surgery was performed. Under those circumstances, vaginal swelling would have been expected.
It is difficult to determine the significance of the bleeding as we would not have expected it since she is spayed. I also must consider conditions including bleeding disorders for possible causes.
I will include a link below regarding general vaginal discharge concerns that you may find interesting.
I would question the veterinarian who performed the procedure to find out if it appears she was in heat at the time of the surgery. If not, and the bleeding persists or gets worse, I would request a second opinion. In addition, an abdominal ultrasound may be indicated to further evaluate for any surgical complications.
Link below

Hope that helps
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She was spayed 5 months prior to the bleeding she is having now. As for amount she drips 3-4 drops when stretching or standing and when becoming very active she will leave a trail of drops when running.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
At this time, I don't believe we can rule-out the possibility of a urinary issue. Urinary tract infections are very common in females and could certainly present with this symptom. You do not necessarily have to see increased urination or straining to urinate.
I would strongly consider a recheck examination and request a urinalysis. In addition, it may be necessary to have either a abdominal ultrasound performed to check for a surgical complication or a vaginoscopy to view where this persist bleeding may be originating from.