Cher
Cher, Dog Caregiver--Extensive Experience
Experience:  Extensive Experience Caring for Canines; Specializing in behavior and health concerns.
1470369

My whippet puppy, 5 months old and teething, seems warm and

My whippet puppy, 5 months old and teething, seems warm and sluggish. Could this be the teething, and if so, should I give her anything (like a bit of aspirin) to help her feel better?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Cher replied 8 years ago.

To help your puppy feel better if the teething is bothering her, you can give her ice cubes and nice hard bones to chew on. A washcloth soaked in water and twisted (rung out) then put in the freezer to get hard, is also a great teething object.

Sometimes, a low-grade fever can accompany teething, but I would be reluctant to give her any aspirin before consulting with her vet, as some dogs can have an adverse reaction to aspirin and in such a young one, overdosing and toxicity is possible.

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx

You can check her temperature to see if she has fever. Normal temp for dogs is between 100.5 and 102.5, rectally. If she does have fever, but it is not above 103, you can wipe her down with a cool, damp cloth and also hold an ice pack wrapped in a towel, against her belly and under her arms, for a few minutes on/a few off. Encourage drinking water and don't let her get a chill when her coat is damp.

If she's not eating, drinking or eliminating as usual, and her temp is 103 or over, she needs to be evaluated by an ER vet center, immediately, for diagnosis and treatment. I'm assuming your regular vet is closed now.

I hope your puppy is feeling better, real soon!

Cher