DrLucy, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Almost 30 yr as a practicing small animal vet.; experience in gen.medicine, surgery, emerg/

Why does my dog keep breaking out with pimples

My dog is a Old English Mastiff, 3yrs. old and gets pimples all over her back and on her face, we thought she was allergic to wheat so her dog food is wheat free. Yet she keeps breaking out, do you have any thoughts about this?
Submitted: 7 years ago via ThePetCenter.
Category: Dog
Expert:  DrLucy replied 7 years ago.

Mastiffs (and other short-coated breeds) are rather prone to "pimples," officially called pyoderma. It is a bacterial infection of hair follicles. Sometimes allergies can trigger it; sometimes moisture, or excessive skin oils. There are also a few conditions that can mimic it--an unusual form of "ringworm" a type of fungal infection) and some autoimmune diseases (where the body attacks its own cells), but these are rare. If she has not been on at least 3 weeks of antibiotics (usually cephalexin is used, at 10 mg per pound twice a day), I would do that first. It could be that the infection never totally cleared up to begin with. You could also have her tested for a thyroid insufficiency, which can make a dog's skin more prone to pyoderma, and can cause hair loss. If the hair is coming out in patches, she should probably be checked for Demodex, which is a non-contagious type of "mange." If you want to use a medicated shampoo, the best one to use is one that contains benzoyl peroxide, such as Oxydex, Sulfoxydex, or Pyoben.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks you we will try the antibotic
Expert:  DrLucy replied 7 years ago.
Great. Let me know if you have any more questions.