Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog (goldendoodle) is constantly iching...sometime worse

My dog (goldendoodle) is constantly iching...sometime worse than other times. Now it is really bad. I am looking for a home treatment to help him get some relief.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 years ago.

Is there hair loss?
Has your dog been seen by your vet?
What diagnoses was put forth by your vet?
Any testing done? if so, what?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
There is no hair loss. The vet basically asked when he iched which is in the morning and at night. She felt he was ichy, but was iching more from boredom than anything else. No testing was done and the recommendation was if it gets really bad to try a Benadril to give him relief.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I do apologize as I did have some personal issues to attend to. It could be a few different things. First thing is to definitely rule out fleas. If your dog is on advantage or frontline, you can skip this step. If they are not, you should at least explore the possibility of fleas by examining your dog’s skin especially around the rump area under a bright light. Fleas are fast and are a reddish brown color so you have to look closely. Frequently you will only see flea dirt (feces). If you find fleas dirt or what you think is flea dirt, get a moist white paper towel and rub it on the area. If it turns reddish color then it most likely your dog has fleas. A flea comb or lice comb run through the area may capture a live flea as well.    

If fleas are ruled out, it may be dry skin. If you believe this may be the cause, I think your best bet would be to supplement your dog's diet with Omega n3 fatty acids. You can do this using fish oil capsules.

Then there might be a skin condition such as staph dermatitis or yeast dermatitis. These skin conditions are generally seen with allergies. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief until your pet can see a Vet. Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours for itching due to allergies.

You can read about allergies here:

Here is a site that goes over itching in dogs.

Hope these suggestions help.