Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog is peeing in the house all of a sudden and he is house

My dog is peeing in the house all of a sudden and he is house trained. He is 6 years old
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

HI bonnied,

What breed of dog is this?

Is he neutered?

Is he urine marking (small spritz on furniture) or urinating full stream?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He is a Beagle, He is neutered and it is full stream
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for that information. When an older well trained dog suddenly starts going in the home it is usually due to a health issue. It could be a urinary tract infection or in looking up the breed I see that they are prone to a couple of kidney problems which should be checked out. Amyloidosis is just one. http://www.petplace.com/dogs/renal-kidney-amyloidosis-in-dogs/page1.aspx and developmental kidney disease is another.

Other factors could be bladder stones. I would bring in a urine sample for testing. This can at least rule out some problems.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have spoken to my doctor and I have brought in a urine sample. The way my dog is acting though. Tells me it might be a behavior problem. He is not telling me he has to go potty, he just goes.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 8 years ago.

Well, if you really suspect a behavior problem, which would be rare in an older neutered dog unless there have been changes in the home such as a new pet, baby, etc. then it will mean going back to the basics of house training. Until this can begin you may want to consider putting him in a crate when he can't be watched or keeping him in a room that can be cleaned up easily. It also means wiping out any trace of his odor with a cleaner made just for dog urine such as Natures Miracle. Start placing bits of his kibble in those areas so he learns it is an eating place not a peeing place. Most dogs do not like to eliminate where they eat and sleep.

I would also again take a look at the health, maybe another opinion from a different vet or maybe blood work needs to be done to make sure the kidneys are functioning correctly .