Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

My dog has recently started regurgitating her food several

Customer Question

My dog has recently started regurgitating her food several hours after eating. It often happens when she is playing in the house, but it at least three hours after she eats. What she brings up looks like undigested food. She has not had a recent change in her food. Last change was a month ago, and this regurgitating just started last week. She can go several days without it happening, then it will happen again. She has no other symptoms of being ill. She is a three year old spayed border collie/aussie mix.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 years ago.
Hi Maryanswrites,

It could be that your dog is vomiting due to eating too fast. This does sometimes cause regurgitation of the food. A way of slowing a dog down when this is happening is to either wet the food down or invert a smaller bowl in the center of the larger food bowl and place the food around the edges. Also be sure your dog is not being overfed by following the recommended daily amount per day.

Another possibility would be Megaesophagus. With this condition, food fails to move all the way down into the stomach and is frequently regurgitated. You can read about this here:

This site give a good demonstration of what happens to a dog with this condition.

If your dog does have this condition, it will help if you can keep the dog's front elevated for 10-15 minutes after eating as well as when he is eating. That is one thing that can help. You should also experiment with different consistancies of food. Some do better with almost a liquid consistancy and others a semi liquid or softened food. Feeding a high calorie diet in small portions throughout the day is also recommended. Perhaps supplement with Nutrical would help as well.

There are a few different drugs that may be effective. One is Metoclopramide which you can read about here:
Another drug is Cisapride, you may want to ask your vet whether these drugs would help in your dog's particular case.

I hope this information is helpful to you.