ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience:  Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing

My cairn terrier recently suffered a seizure (we think due

My cairn terrier recently suffered a seizure (we think due to some kind of ingested toxin) and has been left with a shaking and trembling head and body. Is this due to the seizure - is it harmful - and will she return to normal?

I'm sorry to hear that your Cairn went through this. The shaking is likely a result of the seizure. It would be advisable to have her seen by a canine neurologist, one can generally find these at their nearest teaching vet hospital (state U's etc). As for when this will return to normal, that can vary greatly from pet to pet. The neurologist will examine her and may need to get her on medication to get the shaking under control. This may be a longer term treatment, or brief, depending on what testing/exam reveals. You can read more on tremors here: I hope she's doing better soon. -Robyn

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. It is very early days (she only suffered her seizure yesterday on 27th Dec am) and the shaking isn't continuous but I will take her to see a neurologist. Do you think the seizure could have been caused by something neurological rather than something she ate?

No problem. The shaking will, hopefully, subside with time but it is best to have a neuro take a look. Seizures are frequently caused by something ingested. Underlying health issues (shunts etc) can also cause them. Consider asking your vet a copy of the bloodwork that was done so that it can be taken with you to the neuro. I hope she's doing better soon. -Robyn