Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery
6340741

My vet says my dog has dilute urine and wants to do two more

My vet says my dog has dilute urine and wants to do two more urine tests. My dog has some skin problems. That is why i went in in the first place. The bill are getting high. the english cocker has always been nervous and wants food, but is reasonable normal most of the time.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
How can I help you with your pet's health problem? I'm not sure what the question is at this point.

Thanks,
Drew
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My question is should I have the tests, because the bills are getting high and if Danny, my English Cocker has kidney problems, what can be done about it? If I can't do anything, why should I have the tests? Apparently his dilute is 30x normal, but he is not incontinent. He has a skin problem and so far Ketoconazole pills and KetoChlor shampoo have not helped, although it has helped his ears. He has not changed weight or energy level. He drinks a little more and does not tore on walks. Susie
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Should I have the urine tests and is there any corolation between the dilute problem and the skin and can kidney disease be helped and by what?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Please don't charge me, if your are never going to answer me. I guess you don't know the answer or you are too busy.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry it took so long to reply, I work overnight shifts at a veterinary emergency hospital and I was sleeping all day.

I am wondering, based on your description, if Cushing's disease could be the cause for the dilute urine and the skin problems. Kidney disease can lead to dilute urine also, but it shouldn't cause skin problems. Cushing's disease has as one of its most common symptoms, the higher incidence of skin infections. Drinking more is also a sign of Cushing's.

A test called an ACTH Stimulation test can be used to diagnose cushing's disease. it's a blood test that requires multiple samples.

Treatment for cushing's can be challenging, but many patients do well with it. THe medication can be expensive, however.