Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

my dog ate two small granuales of snow melt, will she be ok?

Can you answer a couple questions to help me out?
1) What is the brand of the snow melt?
2) How long ago did she eat them?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Prestone driveway HEAT
6 minutes ago
I did not actualy see her eat them but when I returned to sweep them up they were gone and she was licking her mouth.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Still waiting for a reply....
Prestone driveway HEAT is a product that contains concentrated calcium chloride. Ingestion of large amounts can cause gastric irritation (vomiting), gastrointestinal ulceration, and possible hemorrhage. Can you tell me how much your dog weighs?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
7 pounds and the two granules were very small partially melted
I would say given the size of the granules that were potentially ingested, that you and your little one should be in good shape. Of course, with any potential toxicity scenario, there are sometimes those pets that have more of a sensitivity than others. At this time, I wouldn't induce vomiting at home given that she shouldn't have a problem with this amount. A whole new set of problems can arise in making a dog vomit that wouldn't be worth the trouble.

I would give your little one a good drink of water and just a little snack. The biggest sign again seen with calcium chloride is vomiting. If you start to see this start up, you can initially try pulling food and water for 6 hours, then re-introducing water slowly over the first hour and then slowly re-introducing bland food at 7 hours. If the vomiting occurs more than just a couple times in the first couple hours post ingestion, then I would definitely seek further care (either with your regular vet as an emergency visit or a trip to the ER room) to help control her gastrointestinal upset.

I have seen many cases of possible poisonings, and there are a lot of times where the pet does not eat the suspected items. If we're in this situation, then all is good. If she did eat them, again, it should be an ok situation, but we need to watch for vomiting, depression, and dark stools.