Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My mini Schnauzer dog swallowed a plastic Baskin Robbins spoon

My mini Schnauzer dog swallowed a plastic Baskin Robbins spoon today. What should I do? He weighs about 25 lbs. Will he pass it or do I need to intervene?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 years ago.
Hi Alexander,

Since it potentially has sharp points that could potentially cut or puncture your dog's throat, you can NOT inducing vomiting. Right now about all you can do is wait and see what happens. If it is a sharp pointy object you can give your dog a piece of bread that may wrap itself around it and allow it to go through the system easier. You will need to keep an eye on your dog’s stools to see if it passes through your dogs system as well as for signs of fresh blood or mucus.

Fresh blood or mucus indicates inflammation within the large intestine while dark black or tarry looking stools indicate bleeding in the upper digestive tract. If your dog’s stools become black then your dog should see a Vet immediately. If your dog begins to vomit, has a lot of diarrhea, becomes unresponsive to you or squats without having a bowel movement then you should take her to the vet immediately as well. As long as your dog is acting normally just monitor your dog closely to be sure it passes through your dog's system.

In addition, if there is sharp points, it could puncture the gastrointestinal tract causing peritonitis.
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/peritonitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

So be sure to monitor your dog closely and have him seen if he develops any symptoms. If it was swallowed in the last hour or so, your vet may try and retrieve it from the stomach. However, it may take some time getting to an ER and they may not want to do that procedure. I hope this information is helpful to you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The plastic spoon was 3/4 of an inch wide and 3 inches long. It had rounded edges on each end. Could that size pass through the dogs intestines without doing damage?
Alexander,

Most dogs will chew on items before swallowing which might cause ragged edges on the plastic. Dogs are sometimes able to pass various items that would surprise you. Round objects tend to cause obstructions faster than irregular shaped ones. So it is possible that it can pass with no damage especially if you give some bread to help cushion it.