How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Scott Nimmo Your Own Question
Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 18907
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Scott Nimmo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog just ate mouse poison. I had this happen years back

This answer was rated:

My dog just ate mouse poison. I had this happen years back and I was instructed to make my pet drink hydrogen peroxide to make them vomit the poison up. I have done this and she has gotten rid of the poison in her stomach. Is there anything else I need to do to ensure my pets health. It is Sunday night and my vet is not answering calls. Please advise. Thank you.
Hello Dcookster.

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. What is the brand name of the poison she swallowed and roughly how much did she get ?

2. How soon after swallowing the poison did you make her vomit and did she bring it all up ?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present and I will come back to you with an answer shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I think it was D-Con. She ate approximately 10 pieces. Caught her with a piece in her mouth and started the hydrogen peroxide immediately. The time frame in which she ate the poison was approximately 10 minutes. The last time she threw up was about a half-hour ago and there was only a few minut pieces along with liquid and bile. We believe we have got it all up. She is very thirsty. Is it OK to let her drink? Water or milk?

UPDATE.....She has just thrown up again and there is no signs of poison, only foam and bile.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I believe you have handled the situation completely properly in making your dog sick within ten minutes, if all the D-Con has been vomited up then that is all you need to do and your dog should be fine.

1. It is OK to let your dog drink water or milk, milk might be better. She will be thirsty because or the vomiting and the hydrogen peroxide.

2. While I think everything will be fine you should keep an eye on your dog for any strange symptoms just in case and contact a vet in the unlikely event that these will occur.

Symptoms might include :

Lack of appetite
Exercise intolerance
Hemorrhage, particularly in the mouth or mucous membranes.

If my answer is helpful to you please click Accept as this the only way I am paid for my work. If on the other hand I have not fully answered your question or you would like ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS

Dr Scott Nimmo and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions