My dog just ate the banana peel from a banana I had eaten today. She ate it about 2 hours ago and so far seems okay. Should I worry about it?
Age: 7; Female; Breed: German Shorthaired Pointer
I waited about an hour, she seemed fine, so I gave her a little of her dog food (about 3/4 cup).
There is nothing toxic about banana peels for dogs. I would also imagine that most of it would be broken down by the gastric acid in her stomach. If she did not chew the peel at all or if she is a small dog, you may see some vomiting in the next few hours.
If the banana peel were to cause a problem, it would occur in the next 1-3 days. Signs of trouble that you can monitor for include:
Abdominal pain (hunched back, stiff sides, reluctance to walk)
Straining to defecate (poop)
If you are quite concerned, I can instruct you in how to make her vomit, but I doubt that this is necessary.
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota