Susan Chambers
Susan Chambers, Dog care specialist
Experience:  20+ yrs helping people care for their dogs, 10 yrs vet. office manager,5 yrs pet loss & bereavement
3527944

I think my chihuahua may have pneumonia. I thought he and my

Customer Question

I think my chihuahua may have pneumonia. I thought he and my pitbull could withstand the recent cold & rain storms. The pit is fine. The chihuahua lost his appetite and is severly lethargic. I tried to force feed him water & the jelly that surrounds the dog food from the can but he throws it up. I'm afraid he'd dehydrated and I don't know how to get him to keep anything down...Right now he's in the bathroom and I'm running the shower to give him steamed vapors to help his breathing. He's been like this for about 2 days. I can't afford to take him to the vet and I fear the worse...What can I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Susan Chambers replied 7 years ago.
Hi, So, you have them both outside? do you take the chihauhua anywhere, it sounds as if he could have a virus.. upper respiratory infection.. they do not handle cold well, but I dont' think that is what is causing his breathing problems.. if he is having labored breathing and refusing food along with lethargic, real;y the only place for him is the vets office.. breathing issues are life threatening and he would need xrays and probably antibiotics, maybe iv fluids... steam is good as is coupage .. you cup your hands and after he has been steaming for 10 mins or so.. thump the sides of his chest to loosen up the material inthe lungs.. can you make him some chicken and rice .. anything he will take in... diluted chicken broth is good . if he gets dehydrated, you could lose him from that alone, he does not have any body weight to keep him going.. you can also buy a nutrigel for use with sick dogs. a gel filled with calories and nutrients.. he really needs to see a vet though, please see if you can't make some arrangement for that to happen.. thanks for caring Susan