ask_me, Obedience, breeding, showing
Experience:  Well versed in all things canine! Knowledgeable in breeding, training and showing

my dogs hair is falling out in clumps and he is biting his

my dogs hair is falling out in clumps and he is biting his skin, when you touch him you can feel all these bumps and he has a awful odor.
Category: Dog
Expert:  ask_me replied 7 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear that your dog is having this issue. There are several things that may be causing his itching. Flea bite dermitits, allergy (food or applied product), mites, or thyroid disorders are all possible culprits. Additionally, the smell you are noticing is likely an infection from itching. He will need an antibiotic or antifungal to clear this and may also need a skin scraping to pinpoint the cause. At home, you can bathe him in a gentle oatmeal shampoo and can ask your vet about giving Benadryl. A low allergy dog food (Z/D) can also be offered. That said, a visit would be in your boys best interest to get this cleared. I hope he's doing better soon. -Robyn

Please click "ACCEPT" or if you need more information "REPLY"