Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

my dog ate a 1/2 bag of white chocolate chips what should I

my dog ate a 1/2 bag of white chocolate chips what should I do?
Can you tell me the size of the bag. Pound? 1/2 pound? handful?
When did she eat the chocolate?
Thank you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
A quarter of a 12 oz gutter's blue bag of white choc chips and he ate them 45 min ago
Okay.
I am not worried about toxicity from the chocolate, but it still has the potential to cause gastritis, gastroenteritis (includes diarrhea) or pancreatitis. Diarrhea will likely be expected, but monitor for vomiting. If he seems more lethargic, is vomiting and has loss of appetite, a vet needs to know. Otherwise, I believe everything should be okay.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, he is a little obese already and always sleeping is there any other symptoms I can look out for, how soon will he have diarrhea?
Oh, the diarrhea or vomiting could have already started by now. I would continue to keep an eye on him for the next 24 hours. The most common symptoms would be vomiting, diarrhea, poor appetite, poor thirst, lethargy, tremors and/or agitation, and abdominal discomfort.