Dr Caroline
Dr Caroline, Veterinarian
Experience:  20 yrs of dog and cat general practice, emergency, certified in acupuncture
13981167

My dog was diagnosed with Clostridium over growth & treated

My dog was diagnosed with Clostridium over growth & treated over nite at emerg on Dec 15, they prescribed Metronidazole. Dec. 19 I brought her back to vet as I felt she was not improv. & was given an anti naseau inject., sub Q and also prescribed Noevast (flagyll). We were making progress and then she did not want to eat this past Monday/Tuesday (dec.22/23) so brought her back to my vet and was given anti nausea shot and Medii Cal Recovery Formula (food) so for the last two days have been feeding her with a syringe (25th - total of 10 ml of the food & rice pureed. she still has diaria in the morning and mostly liquidy with some gell like stuff. The syringe is 2 1/2 ml. She finishes the Neovast tonite and a and two more days of Metronid. Yesterday and today she is keeping the food down. She has lost about 6 lbs since diagnosed from a weight of 25 lb. How often can I feed her small amounts via the syringe to get her stronger? Is what she has gone threw normal for Clostridium?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Caroline replied 8 years ago.

you must still be typing, i do not see the details, or what has been tried.

Can you answer some questions for me?

How was the overgrowth of clostridium diagnosed?

Which tests have been done?

What is the weight of your dog, and what is the dose of Metronidazole?

What was his diet before this?

What is his diet now?

What were the symptoms when she started to get sick?

I may have additional questions,

Let me know, looking forward to assist you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dear Dr. Caroline, I have retyped my my question below as that info was sent at 2:27 and not sure that you got all that so I am sending it again as it has most info and then answering to your other question sent at 2:33.

My dog (jLo) was diagnosed with Clostridium over growth & treated over nite at emerg on Dec 15, they prescribed Metronidazole. Dec. 19 I brought her back to vet as I felt she was not improv. & was given an anti naseau inject., sub Q and also prescribed Noevast (flagyll). We were making progress and then she did not want to eat this past Monday/Tuesday (dec.22/23) so brought her back to my vet and was given anti nausea shot and Medii Cal Recovery Formula (food) so for the last two days have been feeding her with a syringe (25th - total of 10 ml of the food & rice pureed. she still has diaria in the morning and mostly liquidy with some gell like stuff. The syringe is 2 1/2 ml. She finishes the Neovast tonite and a and two more days of Metronid. Yesterday and today she is keeping the food down. She has lost about 6 lbs since diagnosed from a weight of 25 lb. How often can I feed her small amounts via the syringe to get her stronger? Is what she has gone threw normal for Clostridium?

The overgrowth was diagnosed at the Emerg. Clinic, I brought her in as she was not eating for two days, and I was concerned, they first took her temp, temp was fine, ran blood tests, they were good, then wanted to do xrays in case their was something lodged and no blockage. They ran fecal smear and it reveled Clostridium. She was admitted to the hospital Dec. 13th and treated with IV fluids, gut motility, medication, gastri protectants and antibiotics. She had no further diarrhea or vomiting at the clinic. and we picked her up on the 14th., for the next few days had some vomiting and diarrhea and it was bloody and other stuff, like gell like in her stool. I called to have the vet return my call as I was not sure if this was normal course. She would eat a bit of boiled chicken, she did not want the rice, and then had a bit of an appetite for a few days and then did not want to eat.

My dogs weight is now 20 lbs from 26 this month.
Before all this happened my dog was on Raw food. I will also mention on Dec. 6th, we had our second oldest dog passed away (Auto Immune Hymolytic anemia) and because of all this the Emerg clinic mentioned Clostridium can be brought on by stress, the passing of her pack mate. I have two other dogs also feed raw food and they are all healthy, but this has scared me and I will probably not put JLO back on to Raw food. Of course she will stay on gastro. I will just be happy once she has all her energy back with the food intake. She has mostly been sleeping and has been drinking water everyday threw all of this.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dr. Caroline, I am worried that my info has not got to you, are you in the process of answering me or has my question and information reached you. Kind regards, Laura

poor JLo!

When you have clostridium, you may have them on several weeks of antibiotics.

I am giving you a link about clostridial diarrhea:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2239

Flagyl is Metronidazole, and Noevast is a sulfa type antibiotic.

I would be curious to know if other tests were done. She has been so sick, I wonder if blood work, and other fecal tests would be appropriate Optimal antibiotics for the treatment of canine C. perfringens-associated diarrhea include ampicillin, metronidazole, and tylosin. When clostridium is found in large amount, you have to wonder about underlying gastrointestinal disease: bacterial like Salmonella, Camphylobacter certain E.coli (from the raw food even if the other dogs are fine), viral (are they all vaccinated and up to date?), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), SIBO (Small intestinal bowel overgrowth), pancreatitis, liver/gall bladder disease.

I do not have all the information to tell you the Clostridium is the only culprit here. I do not have her metronidazole dose, and i do not have all the details of her hospitalization. But if it is and she is on her way to recovery, supporting her nutrition is really important. I would make sure she has a multivitamin/mineral supplement. Some dogs do well on digestive enzymes and probiotics (Rx Vitamins make good ones for pets). Some dogs that have chronic clostridial diarrhea may respond to added fiber in there diet. Some dogs need a food trial on different protein they are accustom to in case they have IBD.

Let me know if you have more questions, or if you need additional information.

If this is useful to you, do not forget to push the accept button.