My dog, ate some TomCat block bait about an hour ago. I guess consumed about 1/2 a small block - what do I need to do?
Age: 2; Female; Breed: unknown - medium size 20 lbs
I would like to help you with your question, but first I need a bit more information.
How much does your dog weigh?
Do you have 3% hydrogen peroxide in the house?
about 20 - 25 lbs, yes - I have 3% hydrogen peroxide
OK, lets try to get her to throw up. Please give her a small moist meal, then give 1 TBSP of the peroxide by mouth. If it is going to work, she should vomit within 15 minutes.
I also want to be clear. Did she ingest just the plastic bait trap or the trap plus the rat bait inside?
Email me in 15 minutes to let me know how the vomiting went.
No plastic container with this type - these are small blocks of tomcat mouse poison
Ok continue with the hydrogen peroxide.
OK - thank you much I will give her the 3% HP -
Email me 15 minutes after you give it to let me know if it is effective.
OK she vomitted - outside do you want me to see if any of the bait is in the vomit?
Yes please go check for the bait.
Yes, I see the nasty blue stuff in the vomit - she threw up three time, some of the bait in all three - next steps?
The vomiting should stop in the next 15 minutes or so. It sounds like we have been able to get most of the bait out of her before it was absorbed into her system. This makes the chances of a toxicity slim.
I would recommend a couple of things. First, clean up all the vomit, many dogs will go back and eat their own vomit (and then we are back where we started). Next let her drink water if interested, but do not feed her any meals for a few hours as her stomach will still be a bit unsettled. Finally, to be one the safe side monitor her over the next two weeks for any unusual bruising (check her gums and belly especially) and look for blood in her urine or stools. It is very unlikely that you will find any of these, however, if you do, please see your vet right away.
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota
Thank you very much - I will keep a close eye on her and check for the signs
You are welcome. I hope the rest of your holidays are more relaxed.
Thanks again Dr. Beth - wishing you the best for 2009