Dr.Beth
Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota
12905457

My dog, ate some TomCat block bait about an hour ago. I guess

My dog, ate some TomCat block bait about an hour ago. I guess consumed about 1/2 a small block - what do I need to do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 5 years ago.
I would like to help you with your question, but first I need a bit more information.

How much does your dog weigh?

Do you have 3% hydrogen peroxide in the house?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
about 20 - 25 lbs, yes - I have 3% hydrogen peroxide
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 5 years ago.
OK, lets try to get her to throw up. Please give her a small moist meal, then give 1 TBSP of the peroxide by mouth. If it is going to work, she should vomit within 15 minutes.

I also want to be clear. Did she ingest just the plastic bait trap or the trap plus the rat bait inside?

Email me in 15 minutes to let me know how the vomiting went.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No plastic container with this type - these are small blocks of tomcat mouse poison
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 5 years ago.
Ok continue with the hydrogen peroxide.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

OK - thank you much I will give her the 3% HP -

Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 5 years ago.
Email me 15 minutes after you give it to let me know if it is effective.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK she vomitted - outside do you want me to see if any of the bait is in the vomit?
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 5 years ago.
Yes please go check for the bait.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I see the nasty blue stuff in the vomit - she threw up three time, some of the bait in all three - next steps?
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 5 years ago.
Great news!

The vomiting should stop in the next 15 minutes or so.   It sounds like we have been able to get most of the bait out of her before it was absorbed into her system. This makes the chances of a toxicity slim.

I would recommend a couple of things. First, clean up all the vomit, many dogs will go back and eat their own vomit (and then we are back where we started). Next let her drink water if interested, but do not feed her any meals for a few hours as her stomach will still be a bit unsettled. Finally, to be one the safe side monitor her over the next two weeks for any unusual bruising (check her gums and belly especially) and look for blood in her urine or stools. It is very unlikely that you will find any of these, however, if you do, please see your vet right away.

Regards,

Dr. Beth
Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much - I will keep a close eye on her and check for the signs
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome. I hope the rest of your holidays are more relaxed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks again Dr. Beth - wishing you the best for 2009