How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Lefler Your Own Question
Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 18805
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Jane Lefler is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my dog ate 10 chocolate brownies - what should I do

Resolved Question:

my dog ate 10 chocolate brownies - what should I do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 7 years ago.

I'm going to give you the information on chocolate. But in this case, it is likely that you will only see diarrhea as a result given the size of your dog and the probably amount of chocolate in the brownies.

First thing is to not panic. Different kinds of chocolates have different toxicity amounts. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is what causes the toxic response. If the dog ate the chocolate recently (within last 2 hours), you can induce vomiting with 1 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% per 10 pounds, which can be repeated 10 minutes later if it does not induce vomiting. Items such as cookies and cakes will have less actual chocolate in them, so you will have to make an estimate in the amount of chocolate that may have been in the amount of cake, brownie, or cookie your dog may have ingested .

Signs of theobromine toxic poisoning should appear within 1 to 4 hours of ingesting the chocolate. These include vomiting, increased thirst, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty keeping balance, hyperexcitability, muscle spasm, seizures, coma and potentially death from an abnormal heart rhythm.

The following websites will give you’re the approximate amounts of chocolate that you will need to worry about based on the size of your dog and the type of chocolate. Consult this page to determine if a toxic amount has been ingested.

If your dog has ingested enough to be toxic according to the chart, you need to have your dog taken to the vet for supportive care. Your vet can administer charcoal to absorb the toxins and let it pass through your dog’s system with less absorbtion and monitor your dog’s vital signs until the danger has passed.

You also should be aware of the fact that the high fat content in chocolate can also trigger pancreatitis in some dogs and you may wish to take your dog into the vet to avoid this condition developing and definitely keep an eye out for symptoms of this.. You can read about pancreatitis here:

Hope this helps.

Jane Lefler and 2 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you

Related Dog Questions