Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

my dog has a red ball of flesh sticking out the corner of his

my dog has a red ball of flesh sticking out the corner of his right eye. What is that? what can i do to correct that problem?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

Let's see if we can help your little one out. Can you answer a few questions for me?
1) Is the red ball of flesh on the lower part of the eye by his/her nose?
2) Does he/she act painful?
3) How old is this guy/girl?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

yes

2) Does he/she act painful?

no

3) How old is this guy/girl?

12 weeks old

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 8 years ago.
Ok. I'm pretty sure that the red ball of flesh that your seeing in your little one is actually a prolapsed of the tear gland of the 3rd eyelid. This is a fairly common thing to see in young dogs. The 3rd eyelid is the flap of tissue that comes from the inner part of the eye to cover the eye as part of the blinking process. There is a gland that is associated with this tissue, and sometimes it just has a little bit of weakness to the cartilage associated with it. This can lead to a prolapse.

Good thing is that this is not an emergency. So don't stop unwrapping the Christmas presents to go to the ER room. It is usually a very non-painful situation. Most dogs never even act like anything is wrong.

As far as what can you do for him/her at home, I actually tell owners that the only thing that might do any good is a little sterile eye ointment in the effected eye a couple times a day to help keep it moist. But, in all reality, if nothing is done at home till you get to your vet that is OK!

I would make an appointment with your vet when they open and get him/her in for an evaluation. They can talk to you about how they want to repair it. Most of the time in a young one like this it is done at the same time as a spay or neuter.

Here is a good site to look at.
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=567

Hope the holidays are going well besides this little bump in the road.