Dr. Drew
Dr. Drew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Medicine and Surgery

What is cummings disease in dogs What does it affect What drugs are used to treat it

My Father's 10 yr old Yorkie was diagnosed as having Cummings disease,I worked for a Vet when I was younger but never heard of it. Could you please explain this one to me?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
Are you thinking of Cushing's disease?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That is what I thought but he swears that it is cummings as he lives in California I never get to see any blood work or test results.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
I'm sorry, but I know of no disease in Veterinary Medicine that goes by that name. I'm sure he's referring to Cushing's disease and probably heard his veterinarian incorrectly when they were discussing it. Cushing's is treated with one of 2 types of medications, either Trilostane or Mitotane, and both are rather expensive ($50+ per month). Cushing's is a disease where the adrenal glands produce too much cortisone, and this results in weight gain, a pot-belly, panting, increased drinking and urination, and increased appetite.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much, as Isaid this is what I suspected it was. Also I recognize the medicine as Trilostane. What made me more certain was the fact she recently had a bout of pancreatitis Thanks again.
Expert:  Dr. Drew replied 7 years ago.
I'm happy to be of help -- Good Luck with the little one!