Dr Douglas
Dr Douglas, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine SGU, B.Sc. Animal Science Purdue University

My dogs face is swollen and she just started panting she threw

My dogs face is swollen and she just started panting she threw up a couple of times clear vomit. her eyes look like they are suddenly crossed. She is almost ten years and this came on suddenly. It is winter here with lots of snow fall. I'm worried Please help

I have some questions for you:

1. When did her face swell up? Minutes, hours ago?
  2. When did she last vomit?
  3. Are her eyes moving back and forth or up and down?
  4. Is she able to walk?
  5. Could she have gotten into something?

Awaiting your reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Her face swelled up hours ago she drank some water about two hours ago then threw it up about a half hour later she seams to be walking fine she does have free range of our yard and I'm not sure what she could of gotten into. We had a snow storm today and she was outside with my son when I got home from work I did give her a Greenie she weighs about 88lbs so it was a large greenie she has not eaten her supper

Did the Benadryl decrease the swelling?

Does her stomach feel tight or distended? Does she seem painful in her abdomen?

When did you give her the Greenie?

Awaiting your reply.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The benydryl does not look like it decreased her swollen face, her eyes look very droopy and crossed. Her stomach does not feel tight or distended or painful she let me examine her she keeps asking to go out and urinate I followed her and there is no blood or strong smell the greenie was given to her about eleven this morning. She is very restless.

Due to her age, I recommend taking her to your veterinarian in the morning if at all possible.

It seems as if she is having an allergic reaction - swollen face, vomiting.

Another causes may be a tooth root abscess (swelling under one or both of the eyes).

The swelling and vomiting may not be related, then I worry about the Greenie not passing and causing a possible obstruction.

Since she is older, she may not be able to recover as quickly as a younger animal. So, keep her quiet tonight. If you want to feed her feed her boiled hamburger and rice - 1/3 cup hamburger to 2/3 cups rice - in multiple small feedings. Offer her plenty of water.

Let me know if I can do anything else to help.