Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

my doberman has very itchy skin, lost some fur, and is also

my doberman has very itchy skin, lost some fur, and is also very thirsty. We have been to our vet and tried everything possible. Can you help?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Hello I love my dobie,

I have a dobie too. I need a little more information please.

Has he had allergy tests yet to determine what he is allergic to?

Has he had a thyroid test to check for hypothyroidism?

What hypoallergenic diets did you try? Most dogs are allergic to beef.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes he's had blood test and there were no allegies detected and after the rx food that was not helping i tried all beef for the first time which was recommended from a pet food wedsite and it's funny but he is itchy more than ever and constantly wants water

and the breeder recommended to give him fresh chopped beef with his food now i'm really confused

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

That is really strange that he was not allergic to anything on the blood tests.

Do the antihistamines and cortisone help?

Is he a blue doberman?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the vet even tested a small piece of skin, no he is black and tan and he is our fifth one and we never had this much trouble with their skin and as far as him being thirsty could he be diabetic? should i seek another doctor? I 'm really fustrated and it is costing alot of money with no answers. Yes the cortizone shots help only for a short time
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

What did the vet find when he tested a small piece of skin?

Where on his body is the hair loss and itching?

He is probably drinking a lot of water from the cortisone injections. It would not hurt to have his blood sugar check as that would not be expensive.

I think you are going to have to take him to a board certified dermatologist.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the test for the piece of skin also came back without an answer, you mentioned most dogs are allergic to beef should i go back to the rx food, or just a dry food with chicken?
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

Well, did you do a hypoallergenic diet like hills z/d for 6 weeks and it did not help at all?

If that was the case, then he does not have food allergies.

I can't believe the biopsy was non-diagnostic! It should have shown something.

Where on his body is the problem?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

that's exactly the food we tried and did not make a difference

his neck (where the skin was taken) is the itchiest, but on his chest and back you can see the loss of fur and pimples, he scratches his neck so much sometimes he gets and infection and i agree with all the testing why not one diagnosis? I feel the vet does all these tests to make money

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 5 years ago.

So forget about food allergies then.

Feed him what you want and is healthy.

Ok, if I had to hypothesize on your dobie I would go with

1. color mutant alopecia- common in dobies and causes thinning of the coat with secondary folliculits (inflammation of hair follicules or red bumps) Even though he is not blue he can still have this.

2. Follicular dysplasia- where the hair follicles do not grow correctly

3. Seasonal flank alopecia- if he has this, his hair loss changes with the seasons

He could have more than one. There is no cure for any. They are treated with moisturizing shampoos, antibiotics, and cortisone as needed. The only reason I know about these is beacuse I worked at an SPCA for 3 years and saw some of the worst genetically bred dogs and I also have a dobie so I know about their diseases. I think you should get a refferal to a dermatologist at this point so you can get an accurate diagnosis.

Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.