Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

my dog ate an anti depressant pill I dropped on the floor -

Customer Question

my dog ate an anti depressant pill I dropped on the floor - what should I do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. What was the name of the drug and what strength was it?

2. How heavy is your dog and when did this happen?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
zanax - 0.05 mg - dog weight 13 #
thannk you for any assistance
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
zanax - 0.05 mg - dog weight 13 # XXXXX you for any assistance

happened about 12:00
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
zanax - 0.05 mg - dog weight 13 # XXXXX you for any assistance happened about 12:00
Thanks for the question.

Just to be on the safe side you should make your dog sick at once if he swallowed the tablet within the last hour and try and recover the tablet that way, for the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this effectively : LINK

1. This drug can be given to dogs so it is not toxic to them, here is a link to its use : LINK

2. The typical dose range for alprazolam { xanax } in dogs is 0.01 to 0.05 mg per pound bodyweight which comes out at a top dose of 0.65 mg for your dog. This is below the 0.5 mg that he swallowed so I would say that side effects related to overdose would be unlikely.

{ Alprazolam is available as 0.25 mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg and 2 mg tablets so it is likely to be the 0.5 mg dose he swallowed }

3. However you should monitor your dog for signs of overdoseage these would include extreme lethargy and incoordination, if this happens contact an emergency vet at once.

If my answer is helpful to you please click Accept as this the only way I am paid for my work. If on the other hand I have not fully answered your question or you would like ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it has been more than an hour - pup is tired - walks ok - seems a bit sleepy - when would I notice anything more severe - length of time ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
he had also had his usual half of a 25 mg benadril that vet instructed for allergies - can this affect the zanax reaction - & how ?
Hello again,

1. After an hour you should be seeing the effects of the Xanax kick in.

2. Benadryl has slight sedative properties so it may act make your pup more lethargic than with the Xanax alone.

Having said that I think all you will see is your dog being lethargic for a few hours but there are no guarantees so keep an eye on him.

Regards,

Scott