Dr Douglas
Dr Douglas, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine SGU, B.Sc. Animal Science Purdue University
13945838

My keeps yelping randomly, but shes not limping and shes

Customer Question

My keeps yelping randomly, but she's not limping and she's not ailing any part of her body. I've checked her paws, legs, teeth, and most of the rest of her body but I can't find anything that would make her yelp. She also isn't her normal happy self, and isn't eating much of her food. Her ears are also down most of the time. I took her out for a walk and she was happy for the walk but also wasn't tugging on the leash like usual. There's something wrong with her but I can't figure out what the problem is.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Douglas replied 5 years ago.

Hello:

I have some questions for you:

1. When did you first notice this behavior?
  2. Does she yelp when you touch a certain part of her body or does it seem to be random?
  3. When was her last visit to the vet?
  4. Any limping?

Awaiting your reply.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1) two days ago
2)it seems to be random, ive applied pressure to most every part of her body and nothing seems to make her yelp
3)its been a while since she's been to the vet
4) no limping whatsoever.

I recently saw a patient who was positive for Lyme disease and he had a similar history of yelping randomly, but no other signs. I recommend having her tested. A simple blood test is involved, and if positive it is treatable with an antibiotic called doxycycline.

Other causes may include sore muscles from overexertion, a slipped disc in her back, and neck pain to list a few.

Your veterinarian will also be able to prescribe antiinflammatory and pain medications to keep her comfortable.

One last thought is separation anxiety:

• The behavior usually occurs only when the pet is left alone or anticipates being left alone.
  • The pet is "hyperattached" to the owner. The hyperattached pet follows the owner from room to room and/or constantly wants to be held.
  • Vocalization during the episode tends to be high pitched and in repeated yips. (This is a regression to a young puppy's distress call in the time of separation from its mother.)

Do any of those behaviors fit?

• The episode begins in the first 30 minutes from the time the owner leaves.