Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota

our yorkie has a crusty spot on the inside of both ears

our yorkie has a crusty spot on the inside of both ears?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 7 years ago.
I would like to help you with your question, but first I need a bit more information.

Could you post a photo of the area affected?

How long have the ears been like this?

Are they itchy?

How does the rest of the skin on the body look?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Just noticed it this week. The dog doesn't seem to scratch at the ears. The rest of the body doesn't appear to have any problem
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 7 years ago.
Are you able to post a photo. If not can you describe the affected area with a bit more detail.

Is it on the inside of the ear flap or down the ear canal?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it is on the inside of the ear flap on each ear. It looks like a crusty spot like a seepage that dried but it is no where near the canal. it starts about 1/4 inch down from the tip of the ear and is 1/2 inch long. I can't get a picture right now
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 7 years ago.
That is ok about the photo, I will just ask a few more questions to get a good image in my head.

Steve what happens if you clean the crusty spot off? What is underneath?

Do you live in a warm area of the county?

Is this crusty spot where the ear flap folds?

Is the part of the ear canal that you can see clean?

Does she have any crusting around her eyes or on the tip of her nose (feel the skin with your fingers even if it looks smooth)?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it looks like a opened blister, not a deep cut after it is cleaned, but the crust returns. We live in Indiana, so it is cold now. The area is not in a fold, it is on the flat part of the ear. The canal appears clean.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
nothing around the eyes of nose that I can tell
Expert:  Dr.Beth replied 7 years ago.
Thank you.

Well there are a couple of possible causes that fit this description. The option that I am most suspect is a condition called Pemphigus Foliaceus. This is an auto-immune skin disorder that is common in dogs. It causes crusts and blisters to form on the flaps of the ears, nose and around the eyes, and can even affect their paws. In severe cases all these locations will be affected, in other cases only a part of one area. The next step for you is to visit your vet for an examination and to rule out other possible causes like a yeast or bacterial infection. The treatment for the condition can include special shampoos, antibiotics and steroids.

Please let me know how she does.

Dr. Beth