Dr Wade
Dr Wade, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  7 Years as a small animal general practice/general surgery/emergency & critical care doctor.

My dog had an eye scratch which made her eye cloudy about a

My dog had an eye scratch which made her eye cloudy about a month ago and we took her to the vet and she gave us Vetropolycin to put in her eye 2-3 times a day to heal the scratch. Just as it was almost cleared up, it appears that our dog re-scratched it and made it worse. It was now cloudy and red. We took her back and the doctor told us to start again with the Vetropolycin but to keep her in a Elizabethan collar and ensure she does not scratch again. It has been 11 days and while the red has faded, it is still cloudy and a little pink. Should we seek additional help or does this just require a long length of time and medicine to heal? I feel terrible for my dog to be stuck in a cone all the time...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Wade replied 7 years ago.

Pugs can take a long time to heal just by the nature of their anatomy. They eye protrudes so far that it tends to take longer for this type of eye to heal. I would be cautious though because the eye can get really bad really quick. If you have any doubts as to healing I would have it re-evaluated so that it doesn't get to deep into the cornea at which point it is much more difficult to heal. It may be that she needs a different antibiotic or needs other types of medications to help the healing or even surgery to protect the eye. You could take her back for a recheck with your vet or go for a second opinion. It could take 2-3 weeks for this to heal but like I said any doubt I would have it checked out.

Best wishes,