How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Hewitt Your Own Question
Dr. Hewitt
Dr. Hewitt, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 4
Experience:  18 years of general practice, with 8 years emphasis on advanced dentistry
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Hewitt is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate a dead mouse that may have died from eating d-con.

Customer Question

My dog ate a dead mouse that may have died from eating d-con. What should I do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 years ago.



If there is a possibility that your dog ate a mouse that ingested D-con, you need to get your pup to an emergency clinic as soon as possible.


Just like in mice, the rodenticide is an anticoagulant that 'messes' with the clotting factors of your dog's blood system. This can cause your dog to literally bleed to death.


There is treatment, but it needs to happen soon after ingestion, so please, find an emergency clinic in your area and get your pup there.


Good luck!!

Expert:  Dr. Hewitt replied 7 years ago.


With all respect to the previous expert's answer, I have some additional light to shed on the topic. The active ingredient in D-con, and other rodenticides is a chemical (brodifacoum or other similar chemicals) that interferes with blood clotting. However, the way that it interferes is by blocking the liver's ability to make a specific chemical that aids the blood in clotting. We are getting small injuries to our blood vessels all the time, but our body makes clots that stop the bleeding almost immediately. The way the body does this is first by using a cell called a platelet to essentially plug up the hole in the vessel, and then uses proteins called clotting factors to help seal it in. These are the chemicals that rat poison prevents the body from making. When these chemicals are not present, abnormal bleeding develops. This can show up as bruising under the skin, bleeding into the chest or abdomen, or any other number of presentations.

The good news is in the form of 2 bits of information:

First, the toxic effect of rat poison is dose-related, and the amount that it takes to kill a mouse is significantly less than what it takes to affect a dog. In most cases, the amount of rat poison ingested by a dog that eats a poisoned mouse is small enough that it will not cause any symptoms.

Second, even if a pet ingests rat poison directly, there are enough clotting factors in the bloodstream to last most dogs 3-5 days before they start showing any symptoms.


Now, if your pet were to directly ingest a large or unknown amount of rat poison directly, there is benefit from getting to a veterinarian if it is within an hour or two of the ingestion, so that they can induce vomiting and try to get some of the poisonout before it is absorbed by the system.


The good news is that the odds of your pet having ingested enough rat poison to cause serious problems by eating a mouse are extremely low.

As a precaution, I would still follow up with your regular veterinarian. If you want to be extremely cautious and proactive, your veterinarian will prescribe Vitamin K in an oral form, which is the antidote for rat poisoning. This is a prescription medication, so it would have to be prescribed by your vet.


You can also contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Hotline if there is ever a question about a toxic exposure. They have information about toxic doses of different chemicals and products. There is a fee for the service, and you must have a credit card when you call, but the peace of mind is well worth it.

You can get more information at:

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • You are a light at the end of scary tunnel when $ are tight, but people need professional help to turn to for help with their dear pets! Linh Charleston, WV
< Previous | Next >
  • You are a light at the end of scary tunnel when $ are tight, but people need professional help to turn to for help with their dear pets! Linh Charleston, WV
  • $1,000 spent at his vet, and I finally get the correct diagnosis from Nancy Holmes for $15 Carol Cedar Hill, MO
  • I think this is the greatest web site in the world. Thanks to all! Judy New Haven, CT
  • I have referred several friends to your web site. I'm impressed with how easy it is to use your site, the Experts available and the quickness of answers. Nina USA
  • I am completely pleased with the quick response that I received in our time of need for our dog, Jasmine. I couldn't believe how quick the response was and I thank you. It's good to know you're there!! Jasmine's Mom USA
  • Please let everyone involved with your site know that your Expert, Dr. Lucy, has saved my dog's life. I will recommend your site to all my pet loving friends. Thank you again for simply being there! Sonya G Easley, SC
  • Last night my Expert spent close to 3 hours working with me on my dog's illness. Thank you so much for this opportunity to share in her care and knowledge! Cathie M Pompano Beach, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Dr. Gary

    Dr. Gary

    Dog Veterinarian

    Satisfied Customers:

    DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
< Last | Next >
  • Dr. Gary's Avatar

    Dr. Gary

    Dog Veterinarian

    Satisfied Customers:

    DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
  • Joan's Avatar


    Vet Tech

    Satisfied Customers:

    Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
  • Candy's Avatar


    Veterinary Technician

    Satisfied Customers:

    Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
  • Dr. Andy's Avatar

    Dr. Andy

    Medical Director

    Satisfied Customers:

    UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
  • Theresa's Avatar


    A Voice for Your Pet

    Satisfied Customers:

    19+ years experience in small animal medicine
  • 's Avatar

    Satisfied Customers:

  • Dr. Drew's Avatar

    Dr. Drew


    Satisfied Customers:

    Small Animal Medicine and Surgery