Dr.Beth, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota

My dog ate almost a whole container of sugar cinnamon donuts

My dog ate almost a whole container of sugar cinnamon donuts yesterday. He is quite sick today. Could there be a connection? He hasn't thrown up, but is shaking and seems to have some stomach pain.
I would like to help you with your question, but first I need a bit more information.

You say he is quite sick today, can you be more specific.

Any diarrhea? Any straining to pass stools?

Is he painful when you touch his belly? Is his abdomen swollen?

What kind of dog is he? How old?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He has not eaten or taken in any fluids. He was shaking pretty hard for about 4 hours and wanted to stay outside even to the extent of going out into the woods and laying down. It was -10. I had to force him back into the house. I had to lift the front of him and then the back of him and steady him to get him in. His abdomen seems somewhat swallen and painful. He has not passed liquid or stool today.
He's an 11 year old German Shepard
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, if he is not better in the morning I will take him to my vet, but still wonder about the donuts? Could they swell in his stomach?
I am concerned about your description and the fact that your dog is a German Shepard. This breed of dog in particular has an increased incidence of a condition called Gastric dilatation and volvulus syndrome (GDV) or bloat, it can happen after a dog has eaten a large meal. It is where their stomach swells up and can twist on itself. It is a life threatening condition. I would recommend that you bring your dog to the emergency clinic immediately.

I do not think it would be a good idea to wait until the morning.

Dr. Beth