Courtney Carroll, DVM
Courtney Carroll, DVM, Veterinarian
Experience:  5 years experience as a small animal and exotics veterinarian
1195992

My st. bernard suddenly started having wobbly back legs. It

My st. bernard suddenly started having wobbly back legs. It is almost as if a human with a problem with a sprained ankle. If we touch her along the legs she seems only mildly annoyed at one point, never angry or in pain. I'm worried and confused. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Courtney Carroll, DVM replied 8 years ago.
How old is your dog? Any rough play before this started?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry, was just filling the other form in. She's under a year old, about 9-11 months. She slides on the floor because it's tile sometimes and the other day she slid and fell, seemed a little hurt by it from my wife's point of view.
Well, given the breed and age, I would try to get a vet appointment for tomorrow. St. Bernards are so stoic, they hide their pain extremely well. They are also prone to a bunch of developmental orthopedic diseases, and she is still growing. It is possible that she has one of those, and not an injury, but you won't find out without an x-ray. They are treatable, just you have to know what you are treating. I would rest her tonight--no exersize until you get her to the vet.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I guess my only remaining reservation would be, would an orthopedic illness have such a sudden onset? I mean we're literally talking in the span of hours she went from fine to not able to walk. When she puts weight on her legs, they wobble sideways, it's really disconcerting but is very similiar to how someone who gets a muscle sprain can't support weight. Thanks for your rapid responses.
Well, the illness would not have such a sudden onset, but pain stemming from it can. Especially if she just slipped a little or tripped or something.