Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

Is doxycycline hyc 100mg approved for use in dogs how many

Is doxycycline hyc 100mg approved for use in dogs? how many times a day & for how long?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
Doxycycline is frequently used by veterinarians to treat various conditions. The dose, frequency, and length of time it is administered is completely dependent on the condition being treated. This antibiotic would likely not work for an ear infection. In fact, most oral antibiotics would not help. The majority of ear infections respond to ear cleaning (with a generic ear cleaner only - NO water, hydrogen peroxide, or crazy internet formulas), and ear medication.
A oral antibiotic is an additional treatment for severe bacterial infections, not the primary treatment.
If she is exhibiting head shaking and/or any pawing at the ears, you will need a veterinary examination to evalute the ear canal. This is especially important for an older dog where a progressive ear infection can get substantially worse quickly.
Good Luck.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Dr. Andy, Thank you and I just want you to know that other than clearing out the built up gunk that was in there with a clean ,dry cloth and thereby drying it at he same time, I didn't use any fluid substances to clean his ear. I didn't have any ear cleaner available. I will monitor and take him to our vet. Thanks again, you confirmed what i thought about the problem and solution.
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 7 years ago.
You are very welcome. Good Luck.
Your veterinarian may also recommend a ear cytology or culture to identify if it is a bacterial, yeast, or both type of infection. This can sometimes help to figure out what ear medication goes home.