Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

my dog has yellow flat flakes stuck in her fur on her rear

my dog has yellow flat flakes stuck in her fur on her rear end
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.

Can you answer a couple questions to help me out?
1) Has your dog been having any loose stools?
2) White size are these yellow flat flakes - rice size, dime size? Are they on the surface of the fur?
3) Does she seem bothered by them? She licking, chewing at them?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No loose stools
They are rice size but flattened out and oval in shape. Some are stuck to her hair in the rear end area
No she doesn't seem to be bothered by them. They fall off her though and end up on anything she is laying on. We have noticed an increase in amount left on our bed esp.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 years ago.
I'm very suspicious that these small, flat, tan, rice sized things you seeing are actually tapeworm proglotids. Tapeworms are an intestinal parasite that to reproduce, it has small segments break off and pass in the stool. They are actually mobile segments that can crawl. They are supposed to crawl away from the stool on the ground and break open to release the contained eggs. Sometimes these segments get caught in the fur as the stool passes and they end up drying out and sticking around the rectal area.

The life cycle of the tapeworm requires a flea to complete it. So somewhere in his past he has eaten a flea. To get rid of this problem you need to deworm your little one and get him on appropriate flea medications. I always recommend seeing your vet for both of these because they can pick the right medication based on his health, size and situation. Bring in a stool sample so they can make sure there are no other intestinal parasites.

Here is a website that tells a little more about these uninvited little guys.

If this has been of help, please hit 'accept' and feel free to keep answering questions.